The primary function of the Project Design Engineer is to develop new, enhanced and improved product designs that meet the changing form, fit, function and pricing requirements of Customers and global markets. This position is responsible for ensuring that, for each assigned project, all concept and product designs, drawing packages, bills of material (BOMs) and ‘part methods’ meet engineering standards and ‘best practices’ and are completed on time and on budget to the complete satisfaction of internal and external customers. For each assigned project, this position is also responsible for using the principles of value engineering to ensure ‘producible’ and on budget designs for on‐time delivery of quality product that meets Customer requirements and Company objectives.
The second primary function of the Project Design Engineer is be the ‘Technical Lead” for each assigned project, making all final technical design / build decisions and managing the associated engineering work activities until the equipment is commissioned and accepted by the Customer. This position is also responsible for conducting and participating in extensive conceptual, product and as‐built design reviews, for helping to improve engineering and manufacturing processes and procedures to reduce product‐related costs and for completing other product‐related initiatives that help to improve the Company’s competitive position and ensure sustainable growth.
This position must be able to function successfully in a growing, fast‐paced, hands‐on and team‐based capital equipment Design / Build manufacturing plant with machine shop, fabrication, assembly and test facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Project Design Engineer, responsibilities include the following;
- Develop new, enhanced and improved product designs that meet the changing form, fit, functional and pricing needs and requirements of the marketplace and of Customers, when assigned
- Provide oversight and technical expertise ensuring that effective design procedures and processes, efficient tools and techniques, and professional ‘best practices’ are fully implemented and maintained
- Use the principles of value engineering to ensure that assigned project / product designs are ‘producible’ within estimated costs and short lead times and that all product designs, drawing packages, bills of material (BOMs) and ‘part methods’ meet Company standards and are completed on time and on budget to the complete satisfaction of internal and external customers, vendors and service providers
- As ‘technical lead’ for each assigned project, make all final design / build decisions, lead the project team and provide project management and design engineering support as needed to be effective and efficient
- Ensure that assigned project team is solving problems, resolving issues and meeting goals with regard to design, quality, budget and shipment and achieving quality, on time and on budget delivery objectives
- Conduct and participate in extensive, technical and on‐time conceptual, product and as‐built design reviews, in collaboration with Sales, Manufacturing and Quality using principles of ‘good’ design, value engineering and total quality and reviewing, implementing and tracking changes in design, materials and configuration level
- Ensure that all assigned project as‐delivered products meet Customer and Company design, quality and configuration requirements and workmanship standards
- Provide technical, professional and management expertise to enhance and improve in‐house engineering and manufacturing capabilities and competencies, to improve manufacturing processes and procedures, and to reduce overall product‐related costs
- Conduct, when assigned, R&D and other product‐related initiatives that improve the Company’s competitive position.
As a member of the Management Team, additional responsibilities include the following;
- Help to achieve competitive advantage and improve market alignment by fully participating and contributing expertise during technical reviews, providing product development roadmaps and analyses and helping to ensure technical evolution and delivery of competitive new products
- Facilitate open communication with regard to drawings, dimensions and specs ensuring that all design, drawing, detailing discrepancies, issues and questions are resolved during manufacturing and design review
- Work towards improving total quality, reducing lead and cycle times while improving production throughput and continuing to produce quality products that meet and exceed Customer needs and requirements
- Lead and contribute proactively during Company meetings, helping to maintain strong Customer relationships and to ensure that Company goals and objectives with respect to shipments and operating profit are achieved
- Lead and participate fully in Company‐wide projects related to specific Customers, product categories, departments, company‐wide performance improvement and other projects when assigned.
- 6 ‐ 9 years of engineering development and design experience in industrial machinery required BS in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering required
- Experience using Autodesk Inventor and ERP / MRP / Shop Control Manufacturing Systems required
- Relevant and current technical knowledge of engineering design and project management concepts, practices and techniques; skills and ability to provide expertise, technical support and training to others
- Relevant and current industry knowledge of materials, equipment and production capabilities
- Knowledge of Value Engineering, Product Development Roadmap, Lean and Continuous Improvement tools and techniques with skills and ability to institute operational improvements in efficiency, throughput and quality
- Sound analytical, critical thinking, problem‐solving and inter‐personal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership and team building skills with ability to manage and lead cross‐functional project teams
MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE:
- On‐time error‐free completion of assigned project conceptual and product designs, drawing packages, bills of material (BOMs) and ‘part methods’ that meet expectations of internal and external Customers
- Successful completion of project‐related deadlines, milestones and objectives
- On‐time shipments and on‐budget quality projects and products to Customers
- Quality relationships established and maintained within the Company, with Customers, Vendors and Providers
- Continuous and consistent improvement in project management and design engineering skills, abilities, tools and techniques
TO APPLY: Email your resume and references to firstname.lastname@example.org