The primary function of the Controls Engineer II is to design, implement, and test automation/control systems for process or manufacturing systems. Ensure that designs, drawing packages, bills of material (BOMs) meet engineering standards and ‘best practices’ and are completed on time and on budget to the complete satisfaction of internal and external customers. Some discretion over designs and modifications for client projects is allowed. This position is also responsible for drawing and detailing ‘producible’ and on budget designs that can be delivered on-time and on-budget to meet Customer needs and requirements and Company objectives.
The second primary function of the Controls Engineer II includes travel. Most work will be local at Farmer Mold & Machine Works, Inc. manufacturing facility. Travel may include prospective client sales meetings, trade show attendance, client site installation and commissioning of machines/projects and training courses. Some exposure to client mechanical and manufacturing hazards may require proper PPE and will be provided by Farmer Mold.
This position must be able to function successfully in a growing, fast-paced, hands-on and team-based capital equipment Design / Build manufacturing plant with machine shop, fabrication, assembly and test facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As a Controls Engineer II, responsibilities include the following:
- Design, implement and support electrical hardware systems
- Design, implement and supporting PLC, HMI, and software for control systems and equipment
- Read piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID)
- Provide technical and professional expertise to address on-call customer requests by investigating and solving complex problems
- Provide technical expertise helping to ensure that Company engineering procedures and processes, efficient tools and techniques, and professional ‘best practices’ are followed and maintained
- Use the principles of value engineering, help to ensure that assigned product designs are ‘producible’ within estimated costs and short lead times and that all product designs, drawing packages, bills of material (BOMs) and ‘part methods’ meet Company standards and are completed on time and on budget to the complete satisfaction of internal and external customers, vendors and service providers
- Participate fully in all assigned project teams, helping to solve problems, resolve issues and meet objectives with regard to design, quality, budget and on-time shipment
- Participate fully in extensive, technical and on-time product and as-built design reviews, in collaboration with Sales, Manufacturing and Quality and using principles of ‘good’ design, value engineering and total quality and following Company procedures to implement and track changes in design, materials and configuration level
- Help to ensure that as-delivered products meet Customer and Company design, quality and configuration requirements and workmanship standards
- Complete, when assigned, product-related initiatives to improve Company’s competitive position.
As a member of the Team, additional responsibilities include the following:
- Facilitate open communication with regard to drawings, dimensions and specs ensuring that all design, drawing, detailing discrepancies, issues and questions are resolved during manufacturing and design review
- Work towards improving total quality, reducing lead times and cycle times while helping to produce quality products that meet and exceed Customer needs and requirements
- Participate and contribute proactively during Company meetings, helping to maintain strong Customer relationships and ensure that Company objectives with respect to quality, budget and shipments are achieved
- Lead and participate fully in Company-wide projects related to specific Customers, product categories, departments, company-wide performance improvement and other projects when assigned.
EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION:
- 3 – 5 years experience in process control and automation
- 3 – 5 years experience in programming/developing/configuring PLC, HMI, DCS, and SCADA software for control systems
- Experience with Rockwell, FactoryTalk View SE/ME
- Ability to support Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES)
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related engineering field required
- Experience using Autodesk Inventor and ERP / MRP / Shop Control Manufacturing Systems required
- Relevant and current technical knowledge of engineering design, drawing and detailing practices and techniques; skills and ability to provide expertise and technical support to others
- Relevant and current industry knowledge of materials, equipment and production capabilities
- Sound analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving skills and abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills and abilities
- Ability to lead and contribute to cross-functional project times
MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE:
- On-time error-free completion of assigned project and product designs, drawing packages, bills of material (BOMs) and ‘part methods’ that meet all expectations of internal and external Customers
- Successful completion of project-related deadlines, milestones and objectives
- When assigned, on-time and on-budget quality product shipments to Customers
- Quality relationships established and maintained within the Company, with Customers, Vendors and Providers
- Continuous and consistent improvement in professional engineering skills, abilities, tools and techniques
TO APPLY: Email your resume and references to email@example.com